Contract For South Dock Port Redevelopment - Providenciales
March 1, 2023
PRESS RELEASE: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTRACT FOR SOUTH DOCK PORT REDEVELOPMENT – PROVIDENCIALES, PHASE 1 AND 2
Project Number 005561, Tender Reference Number TR 21/24, Contract Number TCIG 22/2020
The Ministry of Immigration and Border Services and the Turks and Caicos Islands Ports Authority are pleased to announce the signing of the contract for the construction of Phases 1 and 2 of the capital project, South Dock Port Redevelopment (PN 005561, TR 21/24, Contract Number: TCIG 22/2020) in Providenciales with a local company – Island Site Development Ltd. This is one of several sub-projects of the South Dock Port Redevelopment project, which will take place over the next three to four (3-4) years.
The redevelopment of South Dock should result in economic benefits to the Turks and Caicos Islands. Larger vessels should be able to berth, which should reduce shipping costs. This should also reduce the cost of living and doing business. Efficiency gains will reduce port operating costs, which should be passed on to the community. New port systems and procedures would be introduced, which again should enhance efficiency and reduce costs.
Kick-off meetings for the project are being scheduled for the week of March 14th, 2023. The duration of the construction is approximately nine hundred and ten (910) calendar days.
Phase 1 and 2 of the redevelopment project involves:
· Construction of a new general cargo terminal with 2 berths (for operation of two (2) at the same time) and a ro-ro ramp;
· Construction of 1.1 acres container yard for general cargo and bulk materials;
· Construction of internal roads and installation of a new scale
· Construction of a safe-water drainage system,
· Construction of a second 410 feet long by 131feet wide berth, encapsulating the exiting berth; and including a second Ro-Ro ramp.
· Installation of new mast lighting
· Dredging a larger turning basin to a depth of 18 feet.
· Shoreline project and raising the port to improve climate resilience
The Redevelopment of the South Dock Port Facility is consistent with the Turks and Caicos Islands Vision 2040 Document specifically, Necessary Condition 1.6: Adequate infrastructure (Transportation, Roads, Ports, Electricity, Water, and Telecommunications) which states, “Our infrastructure must be world-class by 2040” (page 25). The project is also consistent with several goals of The People’s Plan for Progress:- Transforming TCI through Inclusive Growth, particularly Goal 9: Resilient Infrastructure, Innovation and Industry and Goal 11: Sustainable, Inclusive safe and Resilient Communities.
Moreover, the project is also consistent with Goal 3: Resilient Ports of the Port Authority Strategic Plan FY 2018/19 – FY 2021/2022 and it supports Goal 1: Secure Ports and Goal 2: Safe Ports.
Other components of the South Dock Port Redevelopment project include:
1. Construction of a new Port Office (which is under implementation)
2. Construction of second container yard with internal roadways and mast lighting
3. Installation of Refrigerated container racks
4. Construction of additional port buildings
5. New port fire service and electricity system
6. New container staging area and a new port entrance; and
7. Construction of a modern fuel mooring system.
PROPOSED PLAN FOR PHASE 1 AND 2 OF SOUTH DOCK PORT REDEVELOPMENT PROJECT IN PROVIDENCIALES